Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Adventures In Cooking

Carlos and I recently decided to change the foods we are eating and to start living a healthier lifestyle.  Not that we didn't eat well before...we have never been "out of the box" kind of eaters and have always sat down to a well balanced dinner as a family but after watching a few food documentaries (thanks to no cable & Netflix) we are going to cut back our meat consumption to only two nights a week.  We are also switching to raw milk - which I will discuss in another post.  Now don't get me wrong we still like our meat and will certainly eat it if that's what we feel like eating!  Baby steps is all we're trying to take here.  Since I enjoy cooking and am used to the ol' meat with sides kind of meal planning this new lifestyle has been quite the adjustment for me.  I have been trying lots of recipes so I thought I'd start sharing a few that we all really enjoyed.  More to come.....

Vegetarian Chili


2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Cup chopped yellow onion
1 Cup chopped red bell pepper
2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
2 Serrano Peppers (stemmed, seeded and minced)
1 medium zucchini, cut into small dice
1 1/2 Cups frozen corn kernels
1 lb. portabella mushrooms (stemmed, cleaned and diced)
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 large tomatoes (seeded and chopped)
1 can of dark red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can of chili beans with liquid
1 can of tomato sauce
1-2 Cups of vegetable stock
  1. In a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
  2. Add the onions, bell peppers, garlic, and serrano peppers, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes.
  3. Add the zucchini, corn, and mushrooms, and cook, stirring, until the vegetables give off their liquid and start to brown around the edges, about 6 minutes.
  4. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
  5. Stir in the tomatoes.
  6. Add the beans, tomato sauce and vegetable stock, stir well, and bring to a boil. Start with 1 cup of stock and then add more if you like it a little saucier. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
  7. Remove from the heat, and stir in the cilantro. Adjust the seasoning, to taste.
  8. To serve garnish with whatever you choose. Serve immediately.
Enjoy!





1 comment:

  1. This looks SOOO YUMMY, and I'm really not a cook...but I may have to try this! I think I mentioned to you on our last girl's night (which was WAY TOOO long ago), that I have an egg allergy after Nixen was born. Needless to say, it has changed my way of eating for sure, and I, too, have really cut meat almost entirely OUT of my diet. I have seriously never felt better in my life, just leaner and more energy. I'm a BIG fan. My next goal is to really start learning more recipes/cooking more...so I would love it if you kept the ideas coming!!

    ReplyDelete