Thursday, December 3, 2009

Sweet Potato Cupcakes

I've been feeling a little down lately missing our old life in Phoenix. Chicago definitely has it's up sides and we are still loving city life but we desperately miss our friends! I never realized how much you rely on them and how you somehow don't feel whole without them. To make up for my loneliness I have been cooking feel good food like stews, soups, muffins, and cupcakes! My sister-in-law passed this recipe on to me and kept telling me how good they were and that I needed to try them. Well, I finally made them and she was right - they are delicious! Here's the recipe:

SWEET POTATO CUPCAKES (MAKES 24)

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 17.2 ounce can vacuum-packed sweet potatoes (unsweetened) or 2 large baked sweet potatoes mashed up to make about two cups
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 recipe for cream cheese frosting below

1. preheat oven to 350 degrees, line muffin tins with cupcake liners
2. In medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium for about 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat on high until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, beating on low until combined. Add sweet potatoes and vanilla, beating until combined.
4. Divide batter evenly between muffin cups and bake for about 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on wire rack for 2 minutes then remove from pan and cool completely.
5. Top with cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting: (I would HALF this recipe - you will have plenty)
In large mixing bowl beat one 8 ounce package of softened cream cheese and 2/3 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium for 30 seconds. Add two tablespoons of milk and beat until combined. Beat in 8 cups of powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time, until smooth and creamy.







3 comments:

  1. These look better than they sound! I don't know why sweet potatoes sound weird to me but not pumpkin or zucchini, etc. I love anything with cream cheese frosting though! Are you going to try and get tickets to Oprah before she goes off the air? You better! Maybe the final show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I need to know what it says on the bottom half of Suki's shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa they are delicious and the cream cheese frosting is what makes them so yummy. Although they are pretty good by themselves too! Not sure about Oprah tickets - will have to look into that one. Maybe you should come out and go with me???? Just a thought...
    Suki's shirt says "This little girl loves the Cubs"

    ReplyDelete